If you think that you can diet down one good time and then go back to eating the way you did before (you know, the way that caused you to gain fat in the first place), then you’re horribly mistaken!
No, you don’t have to be “on a diet” for the rest of your life, but you can’t go back to eating like an idiot either, without any respect for calories or food quality either.
When you’re as lean as you want to be and you want to maintain your physique, there are only five nutrition “rules” that you must follow:
1. Get 1g of high-quality protein per pound of bodyweight per day
2. Eat 1-2 cups of veggies with every meal
3. Continue to train intensely with weights in the gym and stay active out of the gym
4. Keep your average weekly bodyweight stable
5. Stay hydrated – 3-6 liters per day of pure filtered water
That’s literally it
You can enjoy some cheat days, so long as you’re maintaining your post-diet average weekly bodyweight.
This is a TRUE lesson in moderation. If you just eat whatever you want with no regard for the scale, you’ll blow up like a puffer-fish in no time.
Done properly, there can be a LOT of wiggle room for your favorite foods and even the odd night here or there of really falling off the nutritional wagon.
So long as you get right back on and respect the 5 rules above.